Saturday, August 28, 2010

Boobies with Blue Feet


If you ever get the opportunity to go to the Galapagos, take it. Better yet, create it for yourself. Really. A year or two ago, some friends of mine went on a cruise to the Galapagos, and I remember wondering if I'd ever get there. I was in awe of the photos. Then last year, all of a sudden, I said I was going to Peru...and then badda bing badda boom, my dad won the freakin' lottery! And I went from Peru, to the Galapagos, Iquitos, Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca. I'm not saying that if you declare it, your dad will win the lottery (chances are much greater if he actually plays, though).
The Universe is conspiring on my behalf. It didn't just fall on my lap. I had the opportunity to quit my job, and I took it. I had the opportunity to call some people I met on the plane, and they made me part of their family and showed me the sites of Quito.. I could have booked the 4 day cruise, instead I shopped around and got the 8 day one. Honestly, it seems so natural, but when I read emails and facebook posts, I realize that people, not just people, my loved ones, are at home wishing they could be on their own South American Adventure.
Now back to the Galapagos.
I'm a dork, but saying Blue Footed Booby makes me giggle. And they REALLY do have blue feet. The Albatross actually has blue feet, as well. And an interesting little tidbit--when Blue Footed Boobies die, their feet do not stay blue. I must research this further to find out what actually happens...(there are also Red Footed Boobies, but they were ever elusive this time around) and I say this time, because I really think I'll return to the Galapagos. I still have to take underwater photos and see RFBs, hammerheads, and whales.
You have to take a cruise when you go. I went on a tourist superior boat, which was small, and a bit wiggly at times, but had an amazing crew and an even better guide...which reminds me. Level 3 guide is a must. ALSO, make sure your boat has no more than 16 people...one of those Love Boat deals is the last thing you want. Way too many people, way too much time to get through the things you want to do and see.
Tell you what, I'll go with you. Maybe that's my new job...taking people to places they've always wanted to go.
Ahhhhhh what a life!

1 comment: